Wednesday 22 August 2012

End of Form 3 Test!

G'day fellow bloggers......

I didn't post much, this term because of the burden of both the NCSE exam and End of Term exams on my shoulders. But you know, when I do post, it's usually for something important. And indeed this post is for something important; the end of Form 3 exams.

After Form 3, things will be immensely different; no more time to waste, no time for Facebook and friends; it's really two full years of work, work, WORK!!! Of course there will be some time for fun, I  suppose, but sacrifices will have to be made! It's going to be even more difficult for me since I'll be doing 11 subjects instead of the traditional 8 that is required. I can only hope that I can cope with this.........

Anyways....today I'm here to discuss the out come of the final art test for Form 3! As always, these exams never come easy, but I feel as though this was the hardest exam yet; we had to paint a picture of a landscape in acrylics on watercolour, then create a MOSAIC on top of it. To make our lives harder, were had a perfectly generous time limit, of TWO HOURS!!!    

You might ask yourself' "What is a Mosaic?"

I never did a post explaining the complexities of the Mosaic, but there's no time like the present.
A Mosaic according to Wikipedia is,"the art of creating images with an assemblage of small pieces of coloured glass, stone, or other materials." Basically what that means is sticking stuff together to form an image!

Mosaics are one of the most difficult and time consuming branches of visual art, which are two of the reasons why I hate it! Don't get me wrong, I like how the end result  looks, but doing it take a lot of time and effort and frankly, it can become frustrating if you're not good at it (like me). Let's address my selection of painting before we get into the Mosaic.

I did some brain storming to come up with my image. I wanted do something that was simple enough (because in theory, I only had about an hour to paint, minus the remaining hour to do the mosaic), yet pretty enough, (because I would never willingly substitute speed for precision).

After much internal debate and brain-wracking, I came up with this image:-



Now the above image was a practice run I had done prior to the official exam. I really like this painting because of the rawness of the complementary colours. This was how the Painting was supposed to look in the Art Exam.

Here's a picture of the attempt of the same painting (with the Mosaic this time,) that I did in the exam:-
Please bear in mind that this was the first time I ever did a Mosaic in my life!!



 Admittedly, the mosaic piece looks worse than the first painting, due to the inconsistencies in the spaces between tiles, and the wild assortment of various shades of blue. However while I was doing it, the student around me, and even some of the teachers were very impressed by my piece.

This marks the end of Form 3, but more importantly the beginning of preparation for CSEC, only two years away. It sounds far, but it frightening how time can slip away (something that I have learnt the hard way). One of the things I have to improve is my time management, since I always seem to be doing things at the last minute.

On a brighter note, I have two full months of vacating to rest up for Form 4!

During the vacation, I will be working on some new pieces for CSEC and I'll try to keep you as updated as possible!

Until next post.......
































No comments:

Post a Comment